John Mitchell is a prolific writer and has authored numerous national reports on aspects of workforce development, ilncluding innovation, networking, leadership, strategic management, change management and professional development. He was a Principal Researcher for the NCVER consortium program on building the capabilities of RTOs.
Since 2006 his publications related to workforce development include:
- Quality is the Key: critical issues in teaching, learning and assessment in VET (lead author, NCVER, 2006)
- Ideas for Practitioners (available from IBSA, 2006)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship in VET ( IBSA, 2007)
- New Leadership for Innovative Organisations (lead author, IBSA, 2007)
- Human Capital Enhanced by VET(DEST, 2007)
- Overcoming ‘I’m too busy’: an audit of small business training in WA(WA DET, 2007)
- Productivity and Participation Enhanced by VET(DEEWR, 2008)
- Women’s Leadership in VET(IBSA, 2008)
- ‘Improving Practice in Australia’s Vocational Education and Training Sector through Communities of Practice’, lead author of chapter in Communities of Practice: Creating Learning Environments for Educators (Volume 1, Information Age Publishing, London, pp.127-140, 2008)
- ‘Business Skills for Managing Flexible Learning’, chapter in International Handbook of Distance Education(Emerald, United Kingdom, pp.783-802, 2008)
- Improving the bottom line. Why industry values partnerships with TAFE NSW2008
- Confident RPL assessors (QLD DETA, 2008).
- Approaches for sustaining and building management and leadership capability in VET providers (second author, NCVER, 2007)
- Advanced Practitioners in VET (IBSA, February 2009)
- Authentic, sustainable leadership in VET ( IBSA, October 2008).
- Challenger Impact Model (Challenger TAFE, March 2009)
- Reinvention through Innovation (West Coast TAFE, July 2009)
- “Maximising your doctorate in consultancy work”, chapter in Denholm, C. & Evans, T. (2009) Beyond Doctorates Downunder, ACER Press, Melbourne.
- Appreciative Inquiry Builds Capability, DEEWR, 2009
- Most Significant Change Technique and the National Training System: Core Ideas, DEEWR, 2008
- Enterprises enhanced by VET, DEEWR, 2008
- Productivity and Participation Enhanced by VET, DEEWR, 2008
- Action Learning and the National Training System: Core Ideas, DEEWR, 2008
- Communities of Practice and the National Training System: Core Ideas, DEST, 2007
- Appreciative Inquiry and the National Training System: Core Ideas, DEEWR, 2008
- Carrots, Sticks, a Mix, or Other Options, the feasibility of a systematic approach to capability building, nationally in VET, NQC, 2010
A fuller list of publications is available here.